Saturday, December 13, 2008

Arrived in Valencia, Spain

I decided to go back to Spain as of 6 pm last night. I took a 5 hour train from Naples to Milan and was considering going to Switzerland and then Germany, but once I arrived in Milan and felt the cold I made my mind. Thought it would have been nice to visit Switzerland and Germany during Christmas time, I don't want the 32 degree weather. No thanks, I'll get that back in Chicago.

In addition, it was raining and cloudy all but maybe 2 days while I was in Italy. After 2.5 weeks of that weather it brings you down. Ugh, it's downright depressing. Probably another factor that contributed to me coming home on the 24th. So I came to Spain to get some sunshine, even if it's 55 degrees, still warm to me.

I really wanted to visit Sicilly, but it was going to be raining the next few days. Couldn't do it. Guess I'll go to Jersey to see some Sicillians.

So I took an overnight train where I shared a sleeper car with a nice woman from Nigeria, though her bo burnt my nostril hairs and she ate harboiled eggs.

I hung out with an American from Northern Michigan who wasn't thrilled with his space. He was sharing a sleeper with 3 other dudes and felt cramped. Then a Serbian starts munching on a huge salami sandwich that stunk up the room.

Seriously, what's with people eating the most smelliest food in an enclosed private space? We both agreed, it should be banned.

So I shared my bottle of wine with him and then we drank at the bar. It was the only way to survive the night.

He was a nice guy. He's traveling Europe for 24 days. He busted out of Europe after a breakup and taking a voluntary lay-off.

2 comments:

Mari said...

Jesus, I can totally relate to the smell thing. As a sensitive smeller, I feel for you!

I could tell you stories... but let's not go there!

Brooke Sylvester said...

seriously, it's gross. it's completely inconsiderate.