Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Venice pics

Water stained building. A week before I came to Venice the city was flooded hip deep. It was fine when I arrived.
This is how crowded the streets were and it was December. Seriously, I couldn't imagine visiting Italy in the summer. I would never do it. I would visit in September.

Boardwalk


Moving time via boat.



Water taxi stop. Since Venice is a city of 118 islands. You get around by littles ferries or walk over bridges like seen in pics below. No cars on the island because there's no room.


This is how narrow the waterways are.


Got 60-100 Euros (about 80-130 US)? That's how much a gondolas ride cost. Yeah, no thanks, I've been on a boat before.


Pics are a little hazy because they weather was such.


Venice is built on wood piles as seen in pic. It's crazy. Read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice.
This city is just... I don't even know. It's like a fairytale, almost surreal. It's amazing. It's so special. I think I'm more baffled on how the city was built.
__________
My host Gianluca showed me Venice on Monday. I stayed with him last Sunday and Monday. He was great. I really enjoyed hanging out with him. Sunday and Monday night he cooked delicious pastas and we got drunk on wine and talked all night.
I liked his bad a** attitude. He live in Canada for 22 years. He worked for Canada's version of the CIA, so he has that cop attitude. I found him hilarious.










No comments: