Monday, December 22, 2008

Bittersweet ending

Taking this trip was the best decision I've ever made. I can't imagine that I ever second guessed my decision. If I didn't take this trip it would have been a regret of mine. As I don't believe in having regrets, or at least not obssessing over them, but just accepting them as a part of your life, and that life isn't perfect and not everything you want is attainable for whatever reason(s).

BUT if I didn't take this trip, it would have been a regret of mine that I wouldn't have gotten over. It's something I needed to do. Something I always wanted to do. Something I needed to do to get out of my system.

This is a bittersweet ending for me, especially considering I couldn't make up my mind about whether to stay or go, and feeling guilty and almost ashamed at myself for not staying longer. I emailed a few friends asking for advice.

A common response was: This is your last opportunity to travel like this, so think long and hard about whether you want to go home now.

Well, I thought about it, long and hard, and it hit me. No, this isn't my last opportunity to travel like this. Why should it be? Why can't I do this again? Or the better question, Why shouldn't I do this, again?

When I go home and in 5 months, a year, etc., am unhappy I can go back to Europe. But just because I'm coming home doesn't mean it's definite; nothing is.

But at this time, I'm tired and running out of money so it is time to go home.

This trip has been absolutely amazing. The blog is just a glimpse of my trip and what I've experienced - words can't even begin to explain. I contribute the success of my trip mainly to my hosts. I accomplished the goal of my trip: to stay with locals and see what life is like in other countries. Not only did I experience their lifestyle and culture, but I met, for the most part, exceptional people. I mean that with all its meaning, truly exceptional people. People that I not only enjoyed spending time with, but people I have learned from. You could only be lucky enough to have met the people I have.

But it's a strange feeling to accept that my trip is over, and now, back to reality. As I'm ready to go home, I am a little nervous to go back. Will I be able to fit back into American society so easily? Ha, ha... did I really before, anyways?


Seriously, it's hard to grasp that I will go back to the US and interview and eventually get a job with only 2 weeks vacation. I can't get over it. I think that's the killer. If we had 4-6 week vacations like the Europeans, America would be gold, or close to it. Two weeks ain't freedom. No, sir.

4 comments:

Mari said...

Awesome trek! You'll go again, you still have to hit Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, etc.

Unknown said...

Brooke I whish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy 2009 !!! and I am sure that you had a wonderful time in Europe, I could see the pics... Love and Miss you - Patricia Sato - from Brazil

Life is a bowl of...in Boquete, Panama said...

Hi Brooke,
Been keeping up with your postings. Think I will link your blog onto mine. It was so cool of you to go to Europe what an exciting and educational adventure. My adventure is here Panama, Lane and I love it very much.

Life is a bowl of...in Boquete, Panama said...

Just had to say the last comment was from me, Jere!! Happy New Year!! http://www.jerechica-in-boquete.blogspot.com