Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Naples, Italy, it ain't Florence



Some say it's a great city with nice people and fantastic food... and then there's those who call it a cesspool. I'd say it's all of the above. So why did I go? Because it's another part of Italy and it's completely different.

The south is poorer, has high unemployment, dirty, and is run by the mob. From Naples to Sicily it's a mob run state. In addition to the bad things, the people are more friendly and the food is suppose to be out of this world. So I had to go.

Naples also had a garbage problem not to long ago. The garbage wasn't being collected so people started to burn it. Germany had to take the garbage since the Italians couldn't handle it.

All of my Italian hosts told me to go - that I would be safe, just be careful and watch your wallet, and stay with someone through Couch Surfing. In Italy, there's a joke that people from Naples are thieves. Shit, my impression of all Italians is that they are thieving scammers. And for the record, they have this reputation throughout Europe. And of course, it's not everyone, but one too many makes a generalization.

But anyways, I liked the city. The people were very nice. They smile! Not like the French. (BTW, had this conversation with other Europeans, too, and they agree, the French don't smile. But it was disappointing because it rained the entire time I was there. Which put a damper on things.



Italian gas station.Two gas pumps right on the side of the road. I saw stations like this in Spain, too.

Naples is an old city, too, without much preservation.


Me in a sqaure with my new jacket I bought for 10 Euros at a market in Bologna.



Some sort of religious thing....






Market













No comments: