Saturday, December 6, 2008

In addition to my rant on Rome



OK, so I reread my rant on Rome and I have to say I wasn't entirely fair. Yes, I meant what I wrote previously, but not everyone was an a**hole.

Philip and I had great service in all but one or two restaurants we dined at. It was the best service I've received in Europe in regards of attentiveness. In addition, the people were very friendly.

The woman we rented our apartment from was extremely nice. And the agency we went through were very accomodating. We changed places because first we stayed in a b&b, but it was more like staying in a room at your grandma's house. Don't get me wrong, I like staying at my grandma's house, but not with my boyfriend, if ya know what I mean. ;)
______________

Yeah, and grandma (not my lovely grandma) but this grandma can kiss my a**. So Philip and I had our own dining room where we received a nasty ass complimentary breakfast, which consisted of store bought pastries that you purchase in the gas station in the US for .50 cents; Kellogg's Corn Flakes; and white bread, like Wonder Bread.

Come on! Are you serious? Considering the money we paid grandma she should have made us some homemade bisquits and jam. No only that, but I'm in Italy I don't want to eat Corn Flakes! I don't eat that s*** when I'm at home. And there's bakeries on every f***ing corner!

OK, one more complaint about grandma. So like I said Philip and I had our own dining room. On our second day I'm having coffee while waiting for Philip to get ready and she tried telling me I couldn't sit in that seat, that it was for someone else, and that mine and Philip's seat were over there. I just about had it with her.

OK, so one more complaint, I swear it's the last! On the third day when we finally decided to jump ship as we are walking out, I notice on the other dining room table (for other guests) was bakery style bread. Not only one, but two!

F*** you grandma!
________________

Anyways back to Rome.... so it was like in 48 hours all those little things added up to total frustration and feelings of helplessness.

I'm sure it can be hard for service employees to work in a touristy city. I remember serving and bartending and I hated tourists. If you got a southerner or a European, forget about it, because you knew no matter how much you busted your ass you were not gonna get a 15-20 percent tip.

BUT I just don't like being nickeled-and-dimed. And that's what I felt in Rome.

(In pic above is an example of kindness in Rome. A gift to me from a waiter at a restaurant that Philip and I dined at two nights in a row because the food was really good. OK, second night was not planned. The first restaurant that grandma recommended wasn't very good. Cool atmosphere and good apps, but entrees well, they weren't buono!)

No comments: