Friday, November 14, 2008

More Hugs Please


Every Spaniard (and Portugese) I´ve met and have hung out with is so huggy. They hug me and their friends, a lot. It´s endearing. And it just feels good. (And they give many kisses, too.)

They give good, hearty hugs, not like American hugs. Too many Americans give half-assed hugs with only one arm and a little pat on the back. It´s such a cold, uncomfortable exchange. I have been guilty of this misbehavior, too. It doesn´t feel good and it´s not rewarding in any manner; it´s a perfunctory gesture.

It´s like we´re scared to touch each other. Or we´re scared to be rejected in the event the other person doesn´t want to hug back. I also think many take it as sexual, which is so silly.

I admire the Spaniards´affectionate culture.


(In pic is me and my host Alvaro)

2 comments:

Mike said...

I resent that... I think I am a damn good "hugger" thank-you very much!

Brooke Sylvester said...

ya know, i was thinking about you while i wrote this and thought what a great hugger you are! it's official: barski is the best hugger, ever!