Saturday, November 22, 2008

Nicole finally got it

My dear friend Nicole finally got it. Meaning she got what it feels like to enjoy her trip and take it in. I mean, really take it in. She told me last night she got it. And you could tell because girlfriend was glowing. She looked great.

She's been having a hard time because too many people back home are giving her guilt trips that she's partying too much and she needs to see more. Well you know what I gotta say to that? F*** 'em. I told her this is her trip, not theirs, and people will always tell you what you should. It applies in all aspects of life. Oh you should get married, oh you should have kids, etc. And again I say F*** 'em.

I told her she should be partying in Madrid with her girls. That's truly experiencing the Madridian culture and its people. In addition, I told her she will site see in Barcelona and Italy - that's where the beauty is. And on Sunday she will be traveling by herself until she meets Philip and I in Rome. So she'll have 4-5 of being by herself and so she will not be drinking like she has.
________________

On another note, Nicole also let go of American expectations, for e.g., waiting longer than usual for the bartender to bring another beer or check. You have to ask for a beer or the check. They're not like American bartenders who ask you as soon as you have only a few sips left do want another one or the check.

And she's learned to dine like a European. When I've dined with Americans while traveling they tend to annoy me because they're always in a hurry to see see see! Gotta get one more shot of another monument!!!! Soooo not my style.

And most Americans eat to fill the belly and leave soon after. Europeans don't eat like that. They lounge and hang out with friends and family shootin' the s***. Even if they have only have one coffee or beer they'll still hang without drinking more.

The Spanish share food which I've mentioned before. They don't split all the food up to make sure everyone receives the same amount - because ya know, Americans gotta make sure no one gets more than them. And Spaniards eat off the same plate. I´ve eaten salads, and other dishes with 1-2 other people dipping their fork in there. I'm cool with it.

So back to Nicole. The first few days, Nicole was like a typical American. She annoyed me because she did behaved like a typical American! And of course I told her she needs to chill out, relax, this is Europe! Hey, I can understand where she's coming from, and I'm not hating on her, but I've been by myself or with locals for 2 months and I'm just not used to it. And most importantly, I want her to get it, and finally she has.

Also, I'm very happy that she will be traveling by herself. It's good to travel alone. It makes you more independent, resourceful and in tune with yourself.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh Brookie, I love you! Sad that this part of our trip is ending, I just want to cry. But.. I know that I WILL be okay and still have so much more to experience..

Brooke Sylvester said...

I hear ya. I teared up a few times during the week and after you two left!

Enjoy Venice and Florence!

BTW, I reread what I wrote about you, Jesus, you'd think I had a 5th grade reading and writing level!