Wednesday, November 5, 2008

WE DID IT!

We elected Obama! I´m estatic and tearful all day today!

I´m dying at the same time. Election results did not come in until 3 am my time; therefore, all bars and restaurants were closed. In addition, my hotel has no English TV channels, no computer and no phone! I was totally shut out from the world! I obviously didn´t plan well.

I barely slept last night. I tossed and turned, kept thinking about the election.

And I left Montpellier, France at 7 am this morning. So I´ve been on trains all day and as of now have 1 hr until my next train leaves, which arrives in Seville, Spain at 7:30 pm. So needless to say I've been completely out of the loop! The only reason I knew Obama won was because Philip texted me updates.

This is progress! Electing a black man as the President of the United States. How f***ing unbelievable, and what a groundbreaking time in our history. It feels absolutely great!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE send me any election details from yesterday. Even if you think it´s stupid, tell me. What was the mood at work, outside? Did you go out? What was it like watching Obama speak in Grant Park?

2 comments:

Mari said...

Hi Brooke, posted on your last election blog entry last night! In my family, we sobbed, we smiled, we cheered!

Chicago looked so cool- what a sea of humanity!
At least half the people in any American crowd shots were crying- it was something else!

They showed people in Kenya near Obama's father's hometown dancing in the streets. Kenya declared it a national holiday!

In Rio de Janeiro they danced on the beaches. In Obama Japan, they danced.

So, a lot of dancing, a lot of crying, and I slept like a baby!

Brooke Sylvester said...

thanks mari. it´s been pretty cool seeing the absolute happiness and relief from europeans due to obama´s victory.

and it´s cool to see obama on the cover of every newspaper.

whenever people learn i´m american they always congratulate me. as have many of my previous hosts.