Sunday, October 19, 2008

Arrived in Bruges, Belgium Last Night


After Frank took me to the beach in The Netherlands, he dropped me at the train station and I headed my way to Bruges.

I arrived around 8:30 pm. I'm staying with another Couch Surfing host, Dieter. He's hilarious - a total goof!

When I arrived, he just got off work and was scrambling to clean up. I told him not to stress because of me. He laughed and said, "OK, but new girlfriend is coming by, too, for the first time!"

He laid out a spread of cheese, crab dip, crackers, Frito Lay chips, and beer. Then he turned on the radio and yells, "Oh, yeah! Japanese techno!" He turns down the lights and flashes his lamp to imitate lights in a club, and starts dancing. Too funny.

After he cleaned, we hopped on bikes - I had my own! - and headed to the square. He took me to this small, jazzy piano bar. (pic above.) Only rum is served. It has a Latin American flare with black mannequins, like servants (which I found surprising and almost offensive, because it's unlikely you would see this in the US anymore) and portraits of topless women, more artwork, and a cozy fireplace.

Then we headed to the square to have Belgian fries (french fries). We ordered fries and cheeseburgers from a stand and took to eat at a bar located in a hostel. After we ate and had a beer we headed home. We were both tired.

No comments: