Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Those Are Some Good Balls

I've tried for the first time, veal testicles.

Saturday night, David and I ate at a French restaurant. Fixed priced menus, where you get an app, entree and dessert, are pretty common in France.

Our apps consisted of a salad - mine was with chevre cheese, his with duck. It was so fresh and good.

Then we ate our entrees. I had steak with a creamy blue cheese sauce, and, potato and veggies with a creamy chive sauce. He had veal balls. When our entrees arrived, I asked him what he ordered. He so casually said try some. So I put one in my mouth and chewed. It was a bit chewy and had tastes of bacon, pork, venison, or duck.

Finally I asked and he told me I just ate veal testicales. He had expected me to be disgusted, but I wasn't. I suppose, prior to arriving in France, I had prepared myself to eat what I consider weird animal parts. Not that I'm going out of my way to eat them, but if they're offered, I will try.

In France, as in many countries (I would say), they eat as much of the animal as possible. The roots of French coooking consist of, for example, pig's feet, bone marrow and foie gras (goose liver).

And blood sausage, sausage made with blood, which I tried at the market earlier in the day. It was very good. It was so creamy, it melted in my mouth.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Don't believe what she says fols... she has had many DIFFERENT sets of balls in her mouth at any given time! This is defenitely not the first!