Saturday, October 18, 2008

More Than Hookers, Sex Shows and Weed


Sorry to disappoint some of you, but I haven't purchased any.

So many have asked, "So you smokin' it up?" No, I'm not. Not that I think it's unmoral - I believe it should be legalized. I'm not a toker and I just wasn't feelin' it.

In case you're unaware, in The Netherlands, marijuana is legal. Many cafes sell it along with coffee and/or booze. They have menus (like food menus) with various types. They also sell space cakes aka special _____, e.g., special brownies.

Smoking in Amsterdam isn't that big of a deal to me. If I wanted weed I could get it at home. (I know, I'm really cool!) I can understand how those who smoke would enjoy the freedom of being able to smoke in a cafe, but I'd rather drink a few beers.

I suppose if I was with someone who smoked I'd join in, but I'm not gonna smoke an entire joint by myself and be whacked off my ass wondering around Amsterdam. That wouldn't fun.

When you're traveling and you start doing things because you feel like you have to, instead of doing it because you want to, it defeats the purpose of traveling. You're traveling for yourself, not for others and not because a guide book recommends it.

While walking in Amsterdam I rarely smell it. It's not like there's clouds of pot smoke everywhere. I would walk for hours and maybe smell it a couple of times. From talking to locals, legalized pot has turned in to a tourist attraction. I've stayed with 2 Dutch natives and have met several Dutch people who don't smoke. It's just not a big deal to them.


___________


I actually find Amsterdam a romantic city with its canals, cobbled streets, trees, and outdoor cafes. Its a lovely city.





















No comments: