Thursday, October 2, 2008

Can I get a friggin' napkin!?


Seriously, at least a toilet paper square?


None of my three Danish hosts have had napkins available at meals. Considering they're environmentalists, I assumed it was their effort to conserve and not waste. OK, fine, I can appreciate that, but then on Tuesday during lunch at Annetta and Mogen's company, again no napkins! So now I'm thinking OK, no napkins, must be a Danish thing? Because all the coworkers were too comfortable using their fingers like a piece of bread to wipe every last drop of food and sauce off their plate, and then licking and sucking it off their fingers.

Frankly, licking and sucking fingers should be done in the bedroom, if ya know what I mean.

Later that night, I finally met some civilized people! Anette's parents had us over for dinner and they had napkins. Napkins were available during cocktails before dinner and during dinner! I was in Napkin Nirvana.

As I assumed, napkins are not used because they deem them as unnecessary and as wasteful. That's cool with me. Really, I don't miss or need a napkin. I suppose I've used them out of customary habit.

The pic is Anette and Mogens and the civilized people (Anette's parents).
________________________________

Dinner, Danish style

For starters, we had a couple of shots of schnapps with chips in the living room. Dinner was a traditional "farmers meal" -- a casserole-like dish with apples topped with bacon, and boiled potatos. It was tastey. The sweet and savory items were a good combo. During dinner, we all had 1 beer and several shots of this liquor that tasted like vodka. Mogens says I took the shots like a real Dane.











No comments: