Friday, October 17, 2008

Haarlem, The Netherlands


This is the lovely meal my new Couch Surfing host, Frank, made for me last night. A pot pie with ground beef, broccoli, mushrooms, cheese and other veggies; salad; homemade bread that was bakery quality; creamy blue cheese; and a tasty shiraz.

I swear, if one more Dutch man cooks for me I'm moving here!

Frank lives in Haarlem, about 20 min outside of Amsterdam. I came here to see more of The Netherlands.

He offered to pick me up from the train station. So I thought, OK, by car. But then he rode up on a bike. And I thought Ah sheeeeit, not again. I hopped my ass on the back, like a champ! like a real Dutch person! with both legs hanging on one side, so I wasn't facing forward. And it wasn't bad. I'm getting used to this bike riding thing.

We ate dinner, drank wine and chatted. He's very nice. Once again, I feel like I'm hanging with an old friend, not a stranger.