Monday, October 13, 2008

Trucked my ass to Amsterdam

On Saturday, I drove 8 hours in a semi truck, from Denmark to The Netherlands. The arrangement was made by Mogens - it's one of his drivers - to help me save $ on transportation.

At first, I was a bit nervous to drive in a semi and maybe a tad, I mean a little tad nervous to drive with this dude. But he works for Mogens so it was all good. He was very nice and helpful. We talked maybe, about a quarter of the time because his English was only fair. And I was hangin' like a mofo from the night before so I wasn't overly enthusiastic about conversation.

To get from Denmark to Germany we took a 45 min ferry ride. It was gigantic. The ferry had 2 restaurants and a couple of shops. I've never seen anything like it before. I thought it was pretty wild.

During our ride, we ate steaks and salad from the salad bar.

When we arrived in The Netherlands, I had to take 3 trains to get to Amsterdam. The driver's last stop was 1.5 hr outside of Amsterdam. Again, very helpful. He assisted me with buying my train ticket at the kiosk and wished me a safe journey.

I arrived in Amsterdam Central Station near midnight and Mo met me. He took me to this real Dutch pub, with Dutch music. Finally, no American pop crap! American music is popular in Europe, and for most of the world, but it's the top 40 pop shit, bad hip hop, bad rap, that's heard on the radio and in bars. As I call them: nonartists, douchebags whose image and music is produced and dictated by record companies only looking to make large profits and not good music. It's an American tragedy....

OK, now back to my first night in Amsterdam. So Mo and I hit it off right away. I felt completely comfortable with him and found him very likeable. We drank and chatted until the pub closed at 4 am, and then went back to his place and chatted some more until 6 am.

No comments: