Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Yo Mo, Cook it Up!

Monday, last night, Mo cooked a yummy Asian meal. The stir fry was a mix of ground beef, leeks, onions, mushrooms, red and green peppers, simmered in a sauce with several spices I couldn't identify by taste. It was served with pasta.

Before that, he forced me to ride on the back of his bike to the grocery store so I could experience what it means to be Dutch. We're not talking pegs here, I sat on a wired seat that hurt my ass everytime he hit a bump. If you know me, you could guess I wasn't entirely excited about riding on the back because I tend to be... a p****.

Mo was poking fun at Americans because we always think in terms of: What if something happens to me? What if I fall off and crack my skull? It's all about the ifs and being scared.

But I hopped on and rode away, and I was fine. The way back I was more at ease. It's one of the benefits of traveling - it helps you overcome fears.

During the day I didn't do much. After 3 days of boozing I needed to chill, so I did it at Mo's. The pressure to see and do everything is nonexistent since I'm not on a tight schedule. It's one of the luxuries of traveling for an extended period of time.

2 comments:

Mari said...

Thank god you are out there Brooke, providing me relief from this neverending campaign coverage! I am so enjoying your trip- I did almost the same one back when I was 16: Denmark, Sweden, Germany, France, Netherlands and the UK. Have you had any of those dutch waffles? (they're more like cookies!) Yum. Also, I think the thai food in amsterdam was incredible...mmm now I'm starv-ed

Brooke Sylvester said...

No, I haven't tried the waffles. I actually haven't seen any. I haven't had any Thai - I\m all about the falafels. Oh mama, hold me back!

Glad you're enjoying my trip! I am too.

Thanks for emailing.