Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My mother warned me about this

When I told my sweet, dear mama that I would be working on farms she said, "Don't be joining no cults!" Then she slapped me with her man hand like she did when I was growing up. OK, the latter sentence I made up.



Sunday night, Anetta and Mogens took me to a dinner party at a commune. I didn't know this prior to arriving. When we pulled up to the large L shaped building, I was confused and asked for further clarification, like, people live here? They told me a group of adults and their kids live here - it used to be a nursing home. Finally, I had to ask, "Sooo it's a commune?"



It's the first time since being in Europe that I actually felt culture shock. I don't know why. I know better that communes are just non-mainstream people (who tend to share ecological values) and want to live with like-minded people. The problem is there have been a few that were cults, run by nut jobs and then covered by the news, so the perception most people have is negative. (For more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commune_(intentional_community).)



It's just so strange to me that people live together in a shared home. Dunno, maybe I just like my privacy too much, or because I like to walk around naked? Regardless of my nudist habits, I'm understaning and tolerant to others wanting to live in a commune. They're not hurting anyone, they're not freaks. We all chose to an extent, what kind of community we want to live in.

These people are probably the most open-minded folks you'll ever meet. I'd welcome them as neighbors before some hateful, right-wing Evangelical who thinks gays caused hurricane Katrina! Yes, unfortunately, there are a**holes who believe this. One of the biggest a**holes, Pastor John Hagee, is a well received supporter of McCain's campaign. (For an interesting article on religious figures and the media in this year's election read http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/02/28/hagee/.)

_______

Anyways, the dinner, hosts and guests were absolutely lovely. A South African teen theater group was present, too. They travel all over the world discussing HIV and other pertinent issues. Thirty people in all enjoyed homemade beefstew, rice, salad, bread, wine, and cider. Many of the veggies were from the garden.



After dinner, the S African group sang many songs in their native tongue Zulu, and in English. It was such moving moment. I can't explain it, to be in a room full of people from all over the world sharing dinner, conversation and music is such a fantastic experience. Tears were actually forming in my eyes. I felt a little embarrased until I noticed others were tearing up, too.

No comments: