Friday, October 24, 2008

Dumb ass tourist in Paris

(Read below for explanation of headline. Obviously, I'm not a pro at blog design.)

Louis VIX Chateau.












Inside a hall. So many ceilings had mural paintings. It was grand. As was the additional artwork throughout the building.



Marie Antoinette's chamber.



Remaining pics are of the lavish gardens.














My last full day in Paris was Thursday, and I felt like I didn't see enough. I didn't even go to the Louvre! I'm almost embarrased....

What did I do? Well, I didn't leave my apt until 11:30 am. Headed to the train station, for the second day in a row, trying to retrieve my lost sleeping bag that I forgot on the train, with no luck. Then I spent 35 dollars on a stupid tour bus so I could see more of Paris, only to be disappointed cuz I really didn't see anything new.

Then I hopped on a train to Versailles to see the Louis VIX Chateau. That was pretty awesome. I find history of the French Revolution fascinating so I had to go. FYI, recently, I read a great historical novel on the topic by one of my favorite authors, Marge Piercy, titled City of Darkness, City of Light. I highly recommond it.

Then I walked around the city a bit and went back to Paris.
_____________
Part of the problem was I wasn't entirely excited to visit Paris. I went because it's Paris.


Yes, it's a beautiful city. The architecture is majestic. The abundunt cafes and bistros are charming. The food is out of this world. The hmuseums and history are fascinating. And you already know how I feel about the parks.


But the past 1.5 months I've been in the country, villages and medium sized cities. Paris is like NY to me. Big, loud (cars everywhere!) and dirty. I found it overwhelming. It may sound strange considering I'm from Chicago, and I'm a "city girl" who loves the city life, but I did.


And I was a bit under the wheather and tired. For those who know me well, when I'm sick, tired or hungry, I'm not the most pleasant person! So it's possible if I was feeling 100 percent my mood and experience would have been different.


And I think Paris is a city you should visit with a significant other, spouse, lover, or a blow up doll. It truly is a romantic city.

And finally, spend at least 4-5 days there.





















No comments: